Info Panel
You are here:   Home  /  Timeline

Connecticut Freedom Trail

The Connecticut Freedom Trail was authorized in 1995 by an act of the Connecticut General Assembly. Farmington sites on the trail include Amistad sites and Underground Railroad safe houses where fugitive slaves were hidden by abolitionists. …

Jan 1995 Read More →

The Farmington Quilt

The creation of the Farmington Quilt was an extraordinary community project involving 120 volunteers who donated their time and talent over a two-year period. Three quilts were made; two were raffled …

Jan 1976 Read More →

Flood of 1955

In August 1955, two separate hurricanes, Connie and Diane, inundated Connecticut with heavy rainfall and unleashed a devastating flood, the worst natural disaster in the state’s recorded history.  Thirteen Farmington …

Aug 1955 Read More →

The Village of Beautiful Homes Published

In 1906, “Farmington, Connecticut, The Village of Beautiful Homes” was published by Arthur L. Brandegee and Eddy R. Smith, celebrating the history and beauty of the community, with “Photographic reproductions, …

Jan 1906 Read More →
F.L. Scott Store 1892

F.L. Scott Store

This building formerly “Deming’s” which housed the Amistad captives in 1841, is now the Post Office and a general store.  It is later moved to Mill Lane and is currently …

Jan 1906 Read More →
In 1890, the Farmington Library Co. was housed in the newly built Town Hall,  located
 where the fire station is now, at 76 Main Street. From Farmington Magazine, 1901.

Tunxis Library Merger

When the new Town Hall was built in 1890 on Main Street (where the fire station is now), Julia Brandegee’s Tunxis Free Library merged with the Farmington Library Co. from …

Jan 1890 Read More →
D. Newton Barney’s photograph of Julia Brandegee’s Tunxis Library,
 from Farmington, Connecticut: The Village of Beautiful Homes, 1906.

Julia Brandegee’s Library

Eight years before the Town Hall was built, Julia Brandegee, the younger sister of Sarah Brandegee Barney (a Miss Porter’s School graduate) took a precedent-breaking step. She opened her own …

Jan 1882 Read More →

Meeting House Square

Jan 1880 Read More →
April 10, 2008

Post- Civil War

Photo by Brooke Martin

Jul 1872 Read More →
fisksing

Fisk Jubilee Singers

The Fisk Jubilee Singers are an African-American a cappella ensemble, consisting of students at Fisk University. The first group was organized in 1871 to tour and raise funds for college. …

Aug 1871 Read More →