The present Congregational Church, known for its graceful spire, was built in 1771. The spire, which can be seen above the treetops for miles around, has become a symbol of Farmington. “In Farmington stands a meeting house,” Edmund Sinnot wrote, “that has a spire regarded by many as the most beautiful in New England.”
The church and spire were built by Capt. Woodruff, a self-taught carpenter and architect. Woodruff built several houses in town, including one at 4 High Street that became a tavern after the Revolutionary War, and another at 66 Main Street, which was once a meeting place for abolitionists.
Photo by Brooke Martin