“Bend of the Pequabuck,” by Robert Brandegee, 1898. Courtesy of the Farmington Village Green and Library Association (FVGLA).
In 1640, a group of about a dozen English settlers from Hartford, Windsor and Wethersfield, seeking more land — or “some enlargement of accommodation” — bought territory from Sequasin, chief of the Tunxis Indians. They approached the land by the “Pilgrim’s Path” from Hartford, which led over Talcott Mountain and descended to Mountain Spring Road. The territory extended north to Simsbury, south to Wallingford, northwest to Mohawk country, and east to Windsor, Hartford and Wethersfield — about 225 square miles in all.